This factory and its attendant wharf were opened by Cadbury's around 1911. Local milk and prepared cocoa beans were mixed to create 'chocolate crumb' which was then transported by narrowboat to their chocolate factory at Bourneville near Birmingham. The most famous carrier of crumb was "Mendip", skippered by 'chocolate' Charlie Atkins snr. The factory was bought by Premier Foods in 1961. This factory did essentially the same process as that at Frampton on what is now known as the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal (then the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal).