Godstow Abbey was built in 1133 on what was, at the time, an island between two streams entering the Thames north of Oxford. It was constructed in local limestone for Benedictine nuns, and was consecrated in 1139, dedicated to St Mary and St John the Baptist. It was enlarged during the period 1176 to 1188. The Second Act of Dissolution of 1539 suppressed its use as an abbey. It was converted into Godstow House by George Owen and was used by his family until 1645 when it was heavily damaged during the Civil War. It fell into disrepair and stone was used by locals for other buildings.