Whitchurch Bridge had been "yarn bombed" during the two weeks prior to our arrival. Members of the local Community Art Project had made small knitted/crocheted figures which had been placed along the bridge top-rail, and other artistic banners displayed along the vertical railings. "Sam Mouse" had also been visiting a number of the shops, providing a quiz for young (and not so young). Donations and prize draw entries would be used as donations to local and national charities.
A Grade II listed building, Whitchurch Bridge connects the towns of Whitchurch and Pangbourne across the River Thames. There has been a bridge on the site since 1792, although it was renewed in 1852 and 1902. A toll is still collected.