President & Kildare

photo of 'President and Kildare' at Dudleyphoto of 'President and Kildare' at Dudley

"President" was built in 1909 by "Fellows, Morton & Clayton" at their Saltley Works in Birmingham. It was one of 31 steam narrowboats operated by the company. It was purchased by the Black Country Living Museum in 1983

"Kildare" was built in 1913 by Braithewaite & Kirk for "Fellows, Morton & Clayton". It was one of 24 iron composite butties, initially horse-drawn. It was purchased by the Black Country Living Museum in 1991 and is now usually paired with "President"

The museum is assisted in the maintenance of the boats by the Friends of President  charity.


Valid CSS! Valid HTML4.01 Strict