Launched in 1893 as "Arranmore", the three-masted square-rigged sailing ship circumnavigated the world on her maiden voyage, which took 18 months. She was bought by a German company in 1909 and renamed "Waltraute". After sustaining heavy damage in a storm, she was eventually towed from Montevideo back to Germany. She saw service in the German Navy during WW1 as a depot-ship, then as an accommodation ship for German seafarers in Leith after they had brought their ships over at the end of WW1.
After sinking off Inchkeith island (near Leith), she was taken to London in 1921 to accommodate staff and students at the Gravesend Sea School, and renamed "Vindicatrix". With another war looming, she was taken to a safer berth at Sharpness in 1939. A 'camp' was established in 1943 to support the training-ship and, as the National Sea Training School (Sharpness), boys between 14 and 17 continued to be trained for entry into the Merchant Navy until 1966 when the school closed. During her time at Sharpness, over 70,000 boys passed through T.S.Vindicatrix. The ship was eventually sold for scrap and broken up at Newport, Gwent.